Data breaches have grown increasingly common among retail stores, not only exposing sensitive customer data, but harming the store or brand’s public image and reputation. A data breach can be very costly for all parties involved, which is why it’s vital to take all necessary precautions against hacks and breaches.
We’re sharing three tips to protect data and minimize the risk of breaches, as discussed by pointofsale.com. If you have any questions about your point of sale system’s security protections, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
How to Minimize Risk of Data Breaches at the Point of Sale
Protect Login Information
- Create a more secure login system by enabling multi-factor authentication and requiring users to create complex passwords.
- Change login credentials frequently, especially during the holiday shopping season and other busy times.
- Lock accounts after a set number of failed log-in attempts.
- Monitor the system for suspicious login attempts and report any strange activity immediately.
- Use operating systems that are capable of receiving security updates avoid outdated operating systems that are not supported with updates.
Restrict System Access
- Limit the number of employees and third parties who have access to the system.
- Use the latest security software, such as firewalls and virus prevention.
- Don’t rely only on software – monitor the system closely and report any abnormal activity.
- Don’t allow external devices, such as smartphones or USB drives, to be connected.
- Only allow employees to perform activities that are essential functions of the store. Don’t allow any unnecessary internet access on point of sale devices.
Implement Payment Security Technologies
- To really protect customer data, install payment security technologies, such as tokenization and point-to-point encryption. These randomize and encrypt credit card and other customer data, so if the system is hacked, there’s effectively no data to steal.
Is your point of sale system equipped to handle the latest data security challenges and protect customer information? If not, or if you have questions about your POS system’s security capabilities, contact Retail Tech today.
Retail Tech carries a wide variety of new and refurbished point of sale hardware and equipment. We offer installation and staging, retail POS system repairs, and more. If you need help choosing a hybrid POS solution, contact our POS systems specialists for help finding the perfect point of sale solution for your retail store, restaurant or other small business.