Whether you’re new to retail or have been in the industry for several years, the prospect of upgrading to a new point of sale (POS) system can be daunting. In an effort to demystify the products and the process, we’re sharing a brief overview of POS hardware components, and why a point of sale system is an essential tool for small business success.
It’s important to understand that each piece of POS hardware is designed to work with specific POS software. So, before buying new hardware, it’s a good idea to talk to a point of sale expert. At Retail Tech, we have the experience and knowledge to help you find the right POS hardware for your budget and needs.
What is POS Hardware?
Point of sale hardware is comprised of all the devices that make a POS system function. The specific components used in each system will depend on the retail store or restaurant’s needs, available space and budget.
The Basic Components of POS Hardware
- Touchscreen Monitor: These generally have a low cost, user-friendly design, and small footprint, making them a great choice for tight spaces or newer businesses on a budget. A tablet offers similar options.
- Barcode Scanner: Scanners use laser light to read barcodes, add items and costs to the total, and record the purchase for a store or restaurant’s inventory and record-keeping. Consider a handheld scanner if your store is selling large or bulky items.
- Card Reader: Today, most customers use credit and debit cards to pay, so a credit card reader is a must. You may want to select a reader that facilitates contactless payments, as those options continue to grow in popularity among consumers.
- Cash Drawer: Although credit cards are increasingly popular, customers still want and need the option to pay with cash.
- Receipt Printer: Whether receipts are printed, emailed or texted, it’s essential to provide customers with a record of the transaction.
How Can POS Hardware Boost Business?
POS hardware is an essential component of a POS system, which can positively impact business performance in many ways:
- Secure Transactions
- Accurate Accounting and Reporting
- Inventory Automation
- Customer Management and Engagement
- Easier Scheduling
Point of sale hardware and a modern POS system can improve efficiency, save money, and boost sales. If you’re ready to upgrade your POS system, contact Retail Tech to discuss your needs, budget and options.
Retail Tech carries a wide variety of new and refurbished point of sale hardware and equipment. We offer installation and staging, retail POS system repairs, and more. If you need help choosing a hybrid POS solution, contact our POS systems specialists for help finding the perfect point of sale solution for your retail store, restaurant or other small business.